Someone teach me about quick-ratio rack & pinion kits

wheels. tires. brakes. stiff stuff.
Sean @ NDF

October 18, 2009

As in, I want my civic to be more responsive. The chassis is stiff enough for me, but my steering is still a little mushy. The steering rack is the culprit right? Quaife makes a kit, but not for my car.

Does anyone know enough to teach me about all this? Kotomile? You still auto-x right?
CivicSpoon

October 20, 2009

This might help give you some insight on it, as well as another option to the non-existant Quaife kit. Am I wrong in thinking you own a 6th Gen Civic?
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2422762
Sean @ NDF

October 20, 2009

thanks for the link, you are not wrong.
kotomile
95% JDM

October 20, 2009

Well, I have a manual rack in my car, and it's a quicker ratio than the factory manual rack since I'm rocking a de-powered power rack.

If you don't find yourself wanting to turn faster (like to get rid of having to saw at the wheel to make the corners) and the problem is just response, maybe the culprit is something else. How good is the alignment? How old are the tie rods? Are the tie rods on your car meant to impart a solid feel of the road or isolate the driver from its imperfections? Bushings? Swaybar and its endlinks? Tire sidewall stiffness?
Zero

October 21, 2009

yeah if the tie rods have bad bushings it will take alittle longer before you notice the tires turning.
I drive a Honda シビック クーペ

"We're supposed to be expressing are own artistic talent and vision through our cars, not everybody else's. Use yours to show the rest of the world who you are... i dare you." - Dru Barrios of Honda Tuning Magazine
Sean @ NDF

October 22, 2009

Thanks koto, I'll take a look at all that stuff. Most of the front end parts are stock from 2000. Sidewall stiffness is fine. Maybe it's time for an update
kotomile
95% JDM

October 23, 2009

Yup. I'd stuff some more hardcore endlinks under there, set the alignment with a smidge of toe out, and verify that the joints and bushings are in good order. See how that works and if you need more response do the more involved things like bushings.
tenchu

October 23, 2009

I have an OEM quick rack (STI-RA) and love it :P

Thats about all I know though :P
1993 RHD Impreza : Brembo : Zeal : Whiteline : Prodrive : Enkie : Cusco'd out
Sean @ NDF

October 26, 2009

thanks for the advice homies