to be honest with you i do not see any possible way a short throw shifter could damage anything. the only thing that could damage the gears is improper shifting. if someone has something that proves otherwise please let me know because i would love to read it. i had a short shifter in my CRX the entire time i owned it (about 3-4 years) and i never experienced one gear box problem.
Just call me Dr. Vice.

yeah, i would say improper shifting is all would cause problems with a short shifter, i kinda understand how it would hurt but stil the way it explains it the same could apply to someone without a short shifter just shifting improperly.

also maybe its just a prelude thing but i was sitting in my car today and the way it sits i cant see there being any higher of a shifter than the stock one. probally just a prelude thing though, havent driven a civic besides a EP3 to be honest so dont know how much of a difference it is :|
93 Prelude Si H23 VTEC

i wanna start tracking my car @ beaver run soon enough.

as far as improper shifting, yes that will do some damage but also i have beaten my syncro's shifting 2 fast. + the shorter shifters have less leverage so its going to take a lil more to slam it into gear as well with a longer shifter giving you more leverage will allow smooth gear shifting.

.saint, the honda EK parts jdMuseum.
i hope i grow to be half the man my grand father is.
poop.hell sideways.brigade
http://www.frightmarestudios.com

.saint wrote:i wanna start tracking my car @ beaver run soon enough.

as far as improper shifting, yes that will do some damage but also i have beaten my syncro's shifting 2 fast. + the shorter shifters have less leverage so its going to take a lil more to slam it into gear as well with a longer shifter giving you more leverage will allow smooth gear shifting.
with the way transmissions work you cant truly shift too fast, well you could, but you would have to move at the speed of the flash to do it because you are talking 100ths of a second. like i said i ran one for 3-4 years with 0 issues. This included me smashing around like a stupid kid, racing, normal driving, everything. I punished the hell out of that car and the tranny never screwed up on me. as long as your timing is right with the clutch then you wont cause damage, with the way that the trannys work (getting the next gear spinning before you engage it) thats the only real thing that will screw you up. i say get it and post pix yesterday :P

I've thought about this for a while and wasn't sure if it'd do damage to my trans or not (kind of iffy anyway, really notchy going into gear and I just got the clutch in like 6k miles ago properly broke in and all...)
93ludeSi, do they make a real deal short shifter for our cars or our we stuck with the "adapter" kit BS?

When I bought my DC2 in 2005 it had a short shifter in it and I haven't had any problems with it but who knows it could happen. Seems to be always something going wrong.

Return to “performance tech”